This guide describes how to create a thumbnail flavor and add it to the Kaltura account transcoding profile through API. This method also support auto-generation and resizing of thumbnail dimensions when a new entry is uploaded to the account. This is a useful method to automatically create specific thumbnails upon entry ingestion.
Using the thumbParams service and Add Action
- Select KalturaThumbParams under thumbParams and click the Edit button next to it.
- Set the thumbParams:cropType to RESIZE_WITH_FORCE in order to force the exact thumbnail dimensions regardless of the original media entry dimensions/aspect ratio.
a. Set the thumbnail width and height in thumbParams:width and thumbParams:height.
b. Copy into a temporary editor (e.g., Notepad) the returned flavor param ID (it will show in the result box in the form of:
Go to the [Transcoding Settings panel in the KMC](http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/kmc/kmc4#account transcoding), switch to Advanced Mode and copy the ID of the Transcoding Profile to which you wish to add the new thumbnail profile.
- Call the conversionProfile service and get action providing the desired conversion profile ID from the KMC.
Copy the result element of flavorParamsIds to a temporary text editor.
For example, the result of conversionProfile.get action will look like the following:
5,4,3,2,1,0,6Copy the value: 5,4,3,2,1,0,6
- Append the flavor param ID that from step 3 to the end of the flavorParamsIds from the previous step.
For example: 5,4,3,2,1,0,6,XXX
- Call the conversionProfile service and update the action with the new conversion profile ID as the value of the conversionProfile:flavorParamsIds.
- The transcoding profile is now updated with the new thumbnail flavor.
From herein, whenever a new entry is ingested, a new thumbnail will be generated with the desired dimensions and added automatically to the entry.
Note: The new thumbnail flavor doesn’t appear in the KMC account transcoding in Kaltura versions prior to Falcon.